Friday, October 20, 2006

I'm too young to be old.

I'm pretty sure that when I was in first year I had the capacity to stay up into the wee hours of the morning studying and whatnot, somehow wake up early to get to all my labs, and still remain comprehensible. Now I find that I am just always tired. If I am not in bed by 11:00, I will definitely feel it the next day. I'll find it difficult to form proper sentences. I will require a nap and/or coffee by noon. My sluggishness, of course, plays at that vicious cycle of being too tired to work, which causes you to fall behind, which in turn causes you to have to work harder and sleep less and become more tired and BLAAAAAH.

The past three weeks have been pretty much the worst of my university career. Yes, I have learned a lot, but at a great price. I'm at school twelve hours a day, sometimes seven days a week. I barely see my family or friends anymore. I feel guilty for taking time out of studying to eat dinner. I have increased my caffeine intake probably tenfold. I get roughly five hours of sleep a night. It's making me feel old and worn out and not happy. And do you know what comes to mind? The Pope in that movie The Agony and the Ecstasy: "When will you make an end?"

Luckily, I don't get Michelangelo's wishy-washy answer, "When I am finished." I know that I will have a midterm-free week and a bit in just five days. I am planning to sleep a lot, to watch TV, and to perhaps heal my academic wounds with a little retail therapy. I could even finish that Lost post.

In other news:
  • Jasmine has updated her blog.
  • The Oilers are playing poorly and winning!
  • I'm trying out these new contact lenses. I haven't worn any in about three months, and I have become increasingly paranoid about contracting amoebic keratitis, which is associated with soft contact lens-wearers. I'm going the daily disposible route, considering I only wear them twice a week at most anyway.
  • My computer has nearly lost the ability to have its battery charged - its adaptor doesn't seem to be able to plug into it properly, or at all even. And it makes these weird noises when I touch certain areas of the touchpad. And it smells funny - like burning dirt and plastic. And okra.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jas said...

Oh man, holler.

I just finished a hellish midterm week, and the 5-hour sleep nights were unpleasant.

Hope your exams go well!

October 21, 2006 3:59 a.m.  
Blogger Ingmar "W" Bergman said...

It'll get better.

Once you are 78 you'll take a nap just for the hell of it. No pressure or anything.

October 22, 2006 11:05 a.m.  
Blogger Krista said...

Oh, thank goodness. I thought I was going to have to wait until I was 80 to take naps for the fun of it.

It turns out that there was a problem with my computer beyond its, erm, funk. The adaptor totally melted inside the computer, it wouldn't charge, and then the battery ran out. It's in The Shop for repairs at the moment. It's still under warranty, so part of me hopes that it turns out to be a piece of crap and I can just get a new computer.

There's also a pretty good chance tomorrow's midterm will not turn out so well.

October 23, 2006 11:29 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home