Sunday, September 03, 2006

Happy New Year!

There are no real rules as to when resolutions should be made, but tradition dictates that it's usually at the beginning of the calendar year. I, however, make them at the beginning of the academic year, September here in Canada. Without further ado, here is this year's edition.

Get better marks
My resolutions usually involve some sort of academic improvement, something I have been successful at only once in the past few years (and only trivially at that - the improvement from Year 2 to Year 3 will never show up on a transcript; Year 2's GPA and Year 3's GPA round up and down, respectively, to the same value). And not to toot my own horn, but I have entered a bracket where improvement is no easy task as there is little room to improve. Nevertheless, I'm still going to give it all I've got to edge myself closer to a celebration that will involve a cake shaped as a 4.0.

Watch less TV
This resolution may be a little less ambitious than it ought to be and the details will tell you why. See, I love TV. LOVE. IT. And I plan on watching my fair share of it this year, too. I love "reality" TV (more aptly named surreality TV), and with new cycles of my favourites just around the corner, how could I not watch them? I have the likes of America's Next Top Model, The Amazing Race, Survivor, and The Bachelor to look forward to. I also like the regular syndicates: the CSI series and Lost (perhaps my absolute favourite). Plus, there is a pile of Oilers games I plan to watch. See, my problem is that I am easily susceptible to watching more TV than I had set out to watch. One hour of Lost could suddenly turn into three hours of who knows what. So, my resolution is to just stick to what I plan to watch, no snowballing, no time wasting. That's about 10-11 hours a week, which averages out to less than two hours a day, which is reasonable, right? ... right?

Have fun
I'm not saying that I don't have fun, but I think that I should have some more. The past three years have been wrought with sporadic episodes of fun between lengths of anti-social studying. This is the last year of my undergrad. The Last. I'll never have another year like it, so I suppose I've got to make the best of it. Of course, I am not thinking of "partying" nightly (because that's really not how I roll anyway), but I just think spending a little less time worrying about marks and a little more time laughing and enjoying life could do me some good.

It turns out that I am not very good with resolutions, but I argue that resolution-making is like daydreaming: you have this little window of time during which, theoretically, anything can happen, with no consequences close enough to threaten. So why not flash that ambition about, why not test your imagination? There is always the possibility that something - anything - can come true.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Krista, those are great resolutions and who cares when you make them! I too am a TV addict, especially reality television. My favs are Survivor and Project Runway. I have found that some days I have turned on the television from the moment I get up and it stays on until I go to bed which is terrible. However most of what I "watch" turns out to be reruns or I just leave it on for background noise. I think I may have to follow your lead and see if I can cut back as well.

September 04, 2006 6:12 p.m.  
Blogger Krista said...

Uh oh. This whole "watching less TV" thing might be a bit of a bust, at least until the end of September. Today my copy of Lost Season Two was delivered, and I must watch it all before Season Three starts.

September 06, 2006 8:56 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Are we counting dvd's? I don't think that counts :-)

September 07, 2006 6:43 a.m.  
Blogger Krista said...

But it's a DVD of a television show. It's watching TV without the commercials. I would be cheating if I didn't count it.

But, be proud, I didn't watch ANY TV yesterday. Well, only about five minutes each of the Sharapova-Golovin and Roddick-Hewitt matches in the US Open.

September 07, 2006 2:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home