Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sucktober and Hockey-ness

October 2004 was a definite Sucktober; it takes the cake in terms of suckiness.
October 2005 started as Rocktober, but progressively became a moderate Sucktober.
October 2006 is shaping up to be a throwback to 2004.

I am quite certain that I have never had such a difficult course load. Additionally, I am quite certain that I have never had such a crappy midterm schedule. Granted, I never have more than three in one week; they are just perpetual, never-ending, seemingly infinite. Plus, I have one at 8:00 in the morning the day after Turkey Monday. How? HOW? That's not fair. It's turkey time, not study time. It's really all making me feel quite disenchanted about school and my future and life in general. I spend all my time studying, it seems, and no time actually having fun or thinking of serious issues (like next April). Bah. BAH.

In other news, the NHL has commenced its regular season. Finally. I am elated. Overjoyed. I watched the Oilers' first two stints against the Flames. Their season-opener was rather impressive, I thought. In the off-season there was a whole hazy cloud of speculation about the new Oilers' potential, ranging from finishing twelfth in the West to finishing first in the Northwest. Now their depth and offensive talent are being praised. I'm not a psychic nor a true hockey pundit, so I'm not even going to give my prognosis. It's too early to tell anyway. Last year they won their first three, took a nose dive, and look where they ended up. I'm just going to cheer. And hope that Hemsky shoots more often. Good gracious! I think I have a super fan-crush on Hemsky. I get all fluttery when he's on the ice. And I love his line.... him and Sykora have got some crazy Czech wizardry going on there. With some of that Raffi thug business. I wish the Lupul-Horcoff-Smyth line would gel a little better. I feel Horcoff has not really been in it yet. He showed a flash of his brilliant speed on Saturday night, but he also made more than a few stupid passes in the neutral zone. And what's with that five-forward powerplay? Yipes. It's too gutsy for me at this stage of the game. It might work well if the powerplay started with an offensive zone faceoff and they had Horcoff or Stoll out there to win it. But all the times I have seen them try it they spent half the powerplay retrieving the puck from their zone or making bad passes at the offensive blue line. All in all, I have been very pleased, though, happy that they are back on the ice.

Also, since my dad is a mondo Habs fan, we watch as many Habs games as possible. The one on Friday night... golly! Those Sabres really brought it to them. Watch out for those Sabres. I think they are going to do very well. I'm glad Montreal got redemption against the Leafs on Saturday, though. Granted, they probably should have done it in regulation, but still. Plus, I hate the Leafs. Always have. Always will.

That was a little babbly/scrambly. I just get so excited about hockey.

I'm still working on the Lost post, though I fear its completion will not come until mid-November. At least by then I will be able to talk about the WEIRD new season. This series gives you question after question left unanswered, which is oddly really good. There is lots of room for speculation, which just intrigues you further. It's the only show, apart from The Amazing Race, that I can foresee watching with any real fidelity. Unfortunately, I just don't have much time for the remainder of shows I planned on watching.

Okay. Enough. Happy Turkey Weekend, my fellow Canadians.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home