Sunday, September 17, 2006

Out of Tune[s]

There once was a time when I was heavily interested in music. One summer I spent in excess of $350 towards building my collection. And while music remains very important to me, I have recently lost touch with it. I no longer scan band websites for gossip, upcoming releases. I no longer take suggestions for bands that I should check out. I just listen to what I have, and only some of it at that. The only time I listen to the radio is when my alarm goes off in the morning, but it's tuned to CJSR and the program at 6:00 am is the BBC World Service news. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember the last album I bought.

I miss music.

I was raised on rock and roll. The Good Stuff. Then, when I moved to B.C. at the tender age of 7, my teenage cousins introduced me to pop, dance, R&B, and the like. And yes, I went through the Boy Band Phase. Then I started to explore a little, and added some indie rock and electronica to my repertoire. Lately I have been getting into genre moods. I have passed through a rap mood - a little Kanye here, Hova there; a Mötley mood - trüe to the red, white, and Crüe; a Coldplay mood - one of my favourites. But none of these binges are satisfying my longing for music. I enjoy them, but listening to them is like being hungry and merely looking at a feast set before you.

I don't really know why I have grown away from music. Maybe I just stopped listening. Maybe I became slightly disgruntled by the fact that I was close to being one of those people that look for little-known and sometimes weird music for the sake of looking for little-known and sometimes weird music.... to be cool and, er, hip. You know the type of which I speak. Why not stick to what you like for at least a while? It seems almost traitorous just moving on for the sake of being hip. [Sarcastic interlude]I mean, heaven forbid I should like the music that millions of other people may like! How embarrassing! [/interlude]

I need to reconnect. I have been trying to think of some potential music purchases. Maybe....the new RHCP? The Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack (it stuck out in my mind as quite nice as I watched the movie, which is usually a sign that I should acquire it. There are many a'soundtracks to which I have become attached)? Gnarls Barkley? I'm a little torn on whether or not I should get the newest of Keane and Snow Patrol. I like their older stuff, but the new stuff sounds different. Basement Jaxx just released a new album - quite tantalizing. k-os is coming out with something new soon. I'm a little curious about this new Bob Dylan stuff, too.

I am also torn on the issue of purchasing. While I like buying CDs for the sake of having a tangible collection (to maybe even pass on to my descendants one day when the CD is completely obsolete), I am also quite drawn to the efficiency and reduced prices of buying albums on iTunes. Oh, what a pickle.

So, I don't really know what I wanted to accomplish with this post. Maybe you, my dearest readers, can provide some insight on how to go about getting back to music. Maybe you can suggest an artist for me to check out, an album for me to consider, a song that might change my life. Maybe you can help me sort through the pros and cons of iTunes purchases. Maybe you can read this post and not leave a comment, now knowing that blog comments are what make my world go round.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ingmar "W" Bergman said...

I bought these albums the last two months. All of them are definitely worth buying.

Hot Chip - The Warning
Wolfmother - Wolfmother
Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
The Soundtrack to Broken Flowers
Mulatu Astatke - Mulatu Astatke Featuring Fekade Amde Ma

There are two excellent Ethiopian Jazz songs by Mulatu Astatke songs on the Broken FLowers soundtrack if you want to check him out. Try anyone of these albums if you get the chance.

September 18, 2006 9:56 a.m.  
Blogger Jas said...

New Ben Kweller album! New Ben Kweller album!

September 20, 2006 3:00 p.m.  
Blogger NICOLE. said...

I'm quite enjoying Vetiver right now. And this song 'Yeti' by Caribou.
!!!
I'll see you at the benches!

September 21, 2006 7:10 a.m.  
Blogger Future MD said...

Bergman, My cousin just bought the Regina Spektor CD. I don't get it.
My last 5 CD's were:

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Stadium Arcadium
Stage: Stage
Gotan: Gotan Project
Tool: 10,000 Days
Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon

Too eclectic for words.

Anyhoo, what I really came here to post is that the link you gave me concerning the survey didn't work. It gave me some error page, and when I went to the U or A's Public Health site I couldn't find the survey. Is there another link? I copied and pasted it so there was no risk of error. Or, you can just email me a copy at futuremd@doctor.com. One of the easiest email addresses in the world.

Yeah, and I really want the Kings of Convenience CD. Has anyone heard it?

September 21, 2006 7:33 p.m.  
Blogger Krista said...

Bergster: This Wolfmother intrigues me. I saw their video for "Joker & The Thief" and it made me laugh like only Johnny Knoxville et al. can. I did not mind the song. I wish I could pinpoint what other band or combination of other bands I think they sound like. Vocals are Jack White-ish. Composition reminds me of their compatriots Jet a little. But there is another dimension to their sound that I can't figure out.

Jams: I am not especially familiar with the work of Mr. Kweller, though I've often thought that maychance I should be. So I went to his website and I listened for a while. What a... cheery voice. I like cheery, as you well know. Also, I have called you Jams, and I'm not sure that it's a logical abbreviation for Jasmine. It just happened. I think it's called metathesis in linguistics... switching the letters to ease the pronunciation. Jasm vs. Jams.

Nikki, dearest: Um.... Caribou. As in Manitoba - Caribou? As in the band that would not stop playing?

Dr. à l'avenir: I think it is pretty much imperative that I get my hands on the new RHCP. Your comment has confirmed it as a definite purchase of the near future. Also, I've given you another link to the survey on your blog. You probably know this by now. And I have never heard of the Kings of Convenience. Well, maybe I have, but I am not remembering with absolute certainty. Is that redundant? Absolute certainty?

I am feeling slightly loopy right now. I was feeling dizzy and then the bus ride home was nightmarish by virtue of the traffic being especially bad on Whyte. And then I ate chicken wings. I think my blood sugar is low.

September 21, 2006 8:05 p.m.  
Blogger Jas said...

I prefer Jams to Jasm. Jasm just reminds us all of certain words with which I simply would not like to associate myself, honestly!

Neil calls me Jamscience. HUHWHA?

September 24, 2006 1:55 a.m.  
Blogger NICOLE. said...

yes. that band that would NOT stop. and it kept going after you guys left. but that one song is actually quite nice.

September 24, 2006 10:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home