Friday, June 23, 2006

To the Nitty Gritty

Today marked the end of the group stage at the World Cup, so I am now able to see how my predictions compared to the results.

To see the actual results, go here.

Here are my predictions for the group rankings (those in yellow represent correct predictions):

Group A
Germany
Poland
Ecuador
Costa Rica

Group B
England
Sweden
Paraguay
Trinidad and Tobago


Group C
Netherlands
Argentina
Serbia and Montenegro
Ivory Coast

Group D
Portugal
Mexico

Iran
Angola

Group E
Czech Republic
Italy
Ghana
USA

Group F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

Group G
France
Switzerland
Korea Republic
Togo

Group H
Spain
Ukraine
Saudi Arabia
Tunisia

Ranking Record: 15-17 = 0.469 - not so hot

As for my predictions for the Round of 16 (those team in pink represent incorrect predictions - actual advancing team in parentheses):
Argentina

Brazil
Croatia (Australia)
Czech Republic (Ghana)
England
France
Germany
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
Poland (Ecuador)
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine

Round of 16 Record: 13-3 = 0.813 - better

My Quarterfinal predictions (predicted winner in green):
Germany - Sweden
England - Ecuador
Argentina - Mexico
Portugal - Netherlands
Italy - Australia
Brazil - Ghana
Spain -
France
Switzerland - Ukraine

I'm not too sure about the Portugal-Netherlands game; it really could go either way. I'm giving Australia the "upset" over Italy because of their momentum. And sorry, France, but even though you did well in your last group match, I have not yet regained a whole lot of faith. I hope you can prove me wrong, though. Switzerland-Ukraine is also a little up in the air... Switzerland's defence might outshine Ukraine's offence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home