Monday, June 12, 2006

The Best Tournament in the World

And here I thought I was going to go blog crazy once this gem of a competition started. I contemplated doing game analyses, but since my readership is quite low it would ultimately be for my own reading. Stage 1, the group stage, is far from being complete, but already some teams are throwing a wrench in my predictions: Ecuador, Trinidad & Tobago, Australia. Everything else, though, has gone according to plan.

I have watched all the games thus far, and the best that I have seen were the T&T-Sweden match and the USA-Czech Republic match. T&T-Sweden ended in a nil-nil draw. T&T outwilled Sweden: not a favourite, number two keeper,down a man for almost an entire half, very little possession, but they still came out even. There were many, many Swedish chances, and fantastic goaltending from the T&T keeper, Hislop. The USA-Czech Republic game was a spectacle of fine team play from the Czechs. They beat the Americans 3-0. And not to discredit the American team (they did have some quality chances), but I think they lost on account of poor tactics and poor adaptation. Their set plays were never a threat. Almost every corner and every free kick in a potentially threatening area was a short pass that resulted in nothing. They also tried and continued to try to play the ground game while they were getting killed by the Czechs' aerial game.

Another game of note: Ghana 0-2 Italy. Ghana looked very strong. I was impressed. Good possession, good netminding, good passing. They just need a finisher. It couldn't have been a one-goal game if it weren't for that defensive blunder.

Tomorrow, Mes Bleus are finally taking the field against Switzerland. Brazil is also playing (against Croatia). There has been a lot of assumptions about Brazil: it's genereally accepted that they are going to take their group handily, which is spurring a lot of talk about who they will face in the next round and how teams in Group E are going to have to play in order to avoid meeting them. I would love nothing more for Brazil to lose a game, to finish second, or not even move on at all. But that might be just a crazy girl's fancy because they are that good.

There is also an Oilers' game tonight. I, unfortunately, have a soccer game at 6:30, and will thus miss watching the game in its entirety. It seems sad that I watched the previous three series with such gusto, and this one, the BIG ONE, I am not able to watch at all. It's probably the most interesting one yet, too. But, I suppose there is little I can do about it.

I watched bits and pieces of the last game, and was pleased that the Oilers won. They looked like they were supposed to, and I hope they can continue that play tonight. And Jussi - good on ya, kiddo (maybe just try to look a bit better outside the blue). If he has a repeat performance I will awe him as I awed Roli when he stepped in up at the beginning of the playoffs. Matt Greene also started to show his worth. I was a little disappointed with Hemsky, though. Dangle it! Shoot it! Do anything except lose it! Show us how brilliant we know you are!

Vive la France!! Go Oilers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home