Sunday, June 04, 2006

A Desperation Move

My aforementioned eagerness to blog has not e-manifested itself over the past few days because I haven't thought of a single thing thing to blog about - I have thought of many. But they are undeveloped (note: not undevelopable) ideas; I couldn't stretch an individual idea out long enough to be worthy of a post. Hence my desperation move: I will discuss them all, disconnected as they may be.

Hockey: I am having some withdrawal issues, but there are a mere day away from being solved. I am having some scheduling issues, and there are likely to be left unsolved. My soccer schedule coincides almost uncannily with the Monday and Saturday instalments of the series. Which gets me to another tangentially related point: I hear a lot of commentary on the fact that should this series go to seven games, the Cup will be awarded on June 19, which is "late." Yes, it is late, considering the Oilers won their first cup before the end of May. But, if the league were to keep with the pattern of game-no game and the series were to go to seven games, the Cup will still be awarded on June 17. And if it had started on June 3 and it went to seven games, it would still end on the 13th. As for the series itself.... I don't really know what to expect. As I have mentioned, I think Carolina has three really good lines. But, I mean, look at Edmonton's own scoring depth. So, sort of nullified..... It should be pretty physical. I'm itching to see if Cam Ward can find his groove again... not that I want him to. I want to see Samsonov score more goals while continuing to set them up. And I want to see Hemsky dangle it. Goodness! I get this unbelievably excited feeling when he has the puck, but it usually ends abruptly with him passing it off, or failing to follow through. And hopefully some more people will "kick it up a notch"... like Torres and Dvorak. Uh...that's all I've got.

Reading: Each summer I make a list of books that I plan to read before school starts again because I find it impossible to include pleasure-reading in my academic routine (yet TV always seems to make its way in.... funny how that works). So far I have accomplished little. I have read The Da Vinci Code and 1984 (for the second time). I have started the annual re-read of the Harry Potter series, but that is taking a surprisingly long time. I think I am looking forward to the later books (GOF, OOTP, and HBP) more than I am willing to get through the first three. I think I may be most excited about reading The Passions of the Mind by Irving Stone (a Sigmund Freud bio), though. My dad is reading it right now and he gets really revved up about it. He always has something from it to share with me and he is completely amazed with the genius of Freud.

Music: I am craving some new music. Last year, around this time, Coldplay's new album came out and it kind of became the soundtrack to my summer. Not that the songs necessarily reflected my life, but I always seemed to be listening to it. There hasn't been a similar summer release in 2006. Yes, Sam Roberts' AWESOME new album came out in April, but I have grown out of my infatuation with it (his concert was AMAZING, by the by). So I have resorted to listening to Coldplay's year-old album over and over. Good, but it's been done. I need the soundtrack to Summer 2006.

L'avenir: As some of the very few readers of this blog might know, today is my birthday. I am finally not a teenager. While the advent of my twenties has not been as hard-hitting as I thought it might be, it has still given me something to feel somewhat guilty about. My academic life is a year older than my biological life, by virtue of me skipping a grade. I have never really felt any younger than my peers, though. Not until now. I don't feel I have accomplished what I should have by this age, I guess. I don't have my drivers' licence. I've never really had a long stretch of employment... I've really never showed any flashes of independence, and I think it might stem from my aversion to planning. I think the most I have ever planned for something was my eighteenth birthday celebration, and that was really just purchasing movie tickets and making restaurant reservations a month in advance. I probably didn't even put that much thought into what I was going to study at university, evidenced by my multiple program changes (official and not). This guilt is making me worry about grad school especially. Will I go? If I don't, what will I do? Another degree? Med school, despite the fact that I keep saying I don't want to be a doctor? If I do, what will it be in? Where will it be? How will I finance it? Loans? Scholarships? Working for a year? Ugh. Enough. I will likely blog about this a lot more later.

Odds and Ends
  • Last night my soccer team beat the unbeatable. We shut out the shut-out-ers. We were brilliant. I think it was l'esprit français that got us through it. I almost scored, too.
  • I just found out that the second season of Lost is not coming out on DVD until October. Aaaaah. How am I going to watch it all with a degree to finish? As for why I didn't just watch it as it aired, school got in the way.
  • World Cup 2006 is a mere 5 days away. Eep! I'll probably have a lot more to say about it once it starts (I went blog-crazy for Euro 2004).
If you have made it this far, congratualtions! You have won the chance to give me a birthday comment, sucka!

2 Comments:

Blogger NICOLE. said...

HAPPY LATE BARFDAY - SORRY I DIDNT POST SOONER - WE ONLY HAVE ONE COMPUITER IN OUR WHOLE RESIDENCE. YOU'VE GOT THE HEART OF A CHAMPION. AND DONT WORRY ABOUT LIFE - IT WILL HAPPEN AND ILL BE THERE RIGH BESIDE YOU ALL THE WAY. THIS IS CHEESY BUT ITS 4REAL.

June 07, 2006 6:03 a.m.  
Blogger Krista said...

Thanks, dahling. You are my hero. The wind beneath my wings, as Bette Midler put it.

June 08, 2006 12:39 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home