Thursday, June 08, 2006

World Cup 2006

The last time this wondrous tournament was upon us I was just finishing up the eleventh grade and had recently turned 16. Just a child. Since it was co-hosted by Japan and South Korea, I had to wake up hours before school to take in as much live action as possible, and even still, I didn't get to see as much of it as I would have liked. This time around, however, I am a much older child that has neither the host's time zone nor school to get in the way of watching this tournament in its entirety. I have made the TV schedule to hang on my fridge and I've set my alarm.

Soccer and hockey are sort in balance as my favourite sport duo. While I watch more hockey than I do soccer, I am probably more technically and tactically knowledgeable in soccer, having played it for many years. But as I do not watch soccer that often (occasional EPL, La Liga, and Serie A games and practically zero international games), I am entitled to make only virtually baseless predictions, but predictions nonetheless.

Henceforth I shall rank the teams in each group in the order I think the will finish Stage 1, thus indiciating who I see going on to the Round of 16, and I shall provide reasons, if any, for my choices. (For more entertaining predictions check out mon ami, Cyrille de Lasteyrie at Bonjour America.)

Group A
Germany
Poland
Ecuador
Costa Rica
  • I don't know very much about Ecuador or Costa Rica, but their warm up matches have not been particularly impressive.
  • I also know little about Poland except that they too have had less that impressive warm up matches, and that I cannot pronounce many of their names.
  • I will give Germany home field advantage, and the fact that they have weaker opponents, even though they will not have captain Ballack and their goalie has admitted having problems handling the newly designed World Cup ball.
Group B
England
Sweden
Paraguay
Trinidad and Tobago
  • Although England has not fared especially well in recent international competitions, I think they have a pretty tight squad this time around, even without Rooney. They have a very solid midfield with the likes of Gerrard (even if he's potentially out), Beckham, and Lampard, and some pretty good strikers too - Crouch and Owen. Not to mention Campbell on defense; he's a beast.
  • I know Sweden is good, but I don't know much about them. They've got Larsson and Ibrahimovic (remember that Euro 2004 goal???).
  • I know nothing about Paraguay and T&T.
Group C
Netherlands
Argentina
Serbia and Montenegro
Ivory Coast
  • Holland is a pretty good team: Van der Sar in net, van Nistelrooy, Robben, van Bronckhorst. Although, it's beyond me why Davids and Seedorf aren't there....
  • I don't think debutants S&M and Ivory Coast are going to fare that well, so Argentina gets second place by default (though they're not bad, either - Crespo and Cambiasso)
Group D
Portugal
Mexico
Iran
Angola
  • Portugal has Figo, FIGO!!!! And Ronaldo. And Valente. And Maniche. And Gomes. And Pauleta.
  • I don't know much about Mexico, but I'm not so certain that they'll hold that second place finish. I think Iran might surprise everybody.
  • As much as I would like Angola to do well, I somehow just don't see it.
Group E
Czech Republic
Italy
Ghana
USA
  • Sorry USA. It's not that I don't like Americans. I just don't think you're going to do well.
  • I think Ghana is the best African team in the tournament, but they won't advance on account of having the Czechs and Italians in their group. I think they will surprise many as well.
  • Italy always fairs quite well. Plus Totti seems hopeful to play (I watched the match where he busted up his leg/ankle. It was pretty brutal).
  • I just love the Czechs. Nedved. Cech. Baros. Koller.
Group F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan
  • As much as I would like to see Australia advance (I like Kewell and Viduka), I don't think they can take Croatia. Brazil is a bit of a no-brainer: defending champs, Ronaldhino - possibly the best player in the world right now, Adriano, Kaka, Gilberto, etc. They look good on paper and on the pitch. Too bad I don't like them.
  • I really think Japan will finish last not because they are not a strong squad, but just because the others are stronger.
Group G
France
Switzerland
Korea Republic
Togo
  • Vive la France!!! Allez les bleus! I will be behind France 100%. I love them. I love Zizou. I love Henry. I love Saha. I love Cisse even though he's out with a broken leg. I love them all.
  • I don't know much about the rest of the group. Korea and Switzerland might be interchangeable in their rankings, though.
Group H
Spain
Ukraine
Saudi Arabia
Tunisia
  • I like Spain. They've got Raul, who I'd marry if I could. And Casillas in net. And Alonso. And Puyol.
  • Ukraine gets second place because I don't think Saudi Arabia and Tunisia stand a chance, really. They do have Shevchenko, though.
So, to recap, my predictions for the Round of 16 are (in alphabetical order):
Argentina
Brazil
Croatia
Czech Republic
England
France
Germany
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine

After Stage 1 I will compare my predictions to the results and then make some more predictions for Stage 2.

1 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Oh, Canada. It has been 20 years since we've qualified for the World Cup finals. We just aren't that good. Well, at least our men's international team isn't. Our women's and junior teams are quite good. I think it's just a matter of time before we're a bigger force on the world stage. Soccer's popularity is picking up at a blistering pace here and the talent pool is growing similarly.

But we've got hockey!!! HOCKEY!!!!! AND OILERS!!!!!

(Just watched the World Cup opener: host Germany vs. Costa Rica. Wild, wild match. High-scoring. SUPERB goals by Germany, questionable ones by Costa Rica. But Poland-Ecuador is just about to start. Krista OUT.)

June 09, 2006 12:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home