Monday, June 05, 2006

AH ZUT!

I only saw the first period and three quarters of the second, and I thought, "Wow. No rust. Good forecheck. Physical play from both sides. This is going to be a good series." While I still think it has the potential to be a good series, I can't say that I am as hopeful as I was. I didn't get the chance to see the Oilers crumble and I shed a little tear when I heard the Roloson news. I don't think Conklin can be a scapegoat here, either. It was 4-4 when Roli went down. The lead had been blown, the game was their's to lose. Of course, not all hope is lost. Oilers did outplay the Hurricans for a better portion of the game. They need to work on that powerplay, though. Roli is definitely a significant loss... a touted shoe-in for the Conn Smythe.... I don't think anyone even considered losing him to injury, and that's exactly why it happened. I can only hope that Markkanen starts the next game; I have never fully trusted Conklin. Too bad Morrison is gone; I think he would have made the best replacement. Plus, the Oilers know what it's like to come back from losing the series opener. In fact, I think they play better from behind, evidenced by their superb play against Detroit and San Jose. They weren't as good against Anaheim.

But, it just wasn't in the stars tonight, I guess. Plus, things were too out of whack, inside and outside of the game. Inside: Mick McGeough reffing for the first time in the Finals; Mick McGeough awarding a penalty shot in the Finals; Chris Pronger taking and scoring on said penalty shot. Outside: Edmonton's sudden weather change; my soccer team, who normally has 0-3 substitutes, arrived at a rainy, windy field with 6 subsitutes to play the worst team in the league, which fielded only 9 players. Although seemingly trivial, it's these types of things that upset the balance of the universe. It's true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home