Sunday, June 18, 2006

Not Yet Sick of Sports

France 1:1 Korea Republic
Zut alors! Mon dieu! Merde!
For the love of France, what happened? I'm not saying that France deserved to win nor do I want to discredit the Koreans, but, come on, WIN ALREADY! Somebody please perform the Heimlich: France has been choking for far too long. I honestly thought that Henry's early goal was going to open the floodgates. Yet, they just sat on it, hoped it would be enough, hoped they could keep the Koreans at bay for eight-one more minutes. And Zizou, ZIZOU!! What were you thinking? Were you even thinking? His yellow card-offense was senseless, completely and utterly senseless. It was an unnecessary foul - not even a tackle. And he knew he had another yellow on his record. It's like he wanted to get it, he wanted to miss the next match and ensure a French demise... he's sending a message to Domenech: do not resuscitate.

Brazil 2:0 Australia
I'll admit it: I bought into the Brazil hype. I thought they were going to be unstoppable, unbelievable, amazing, beautiful, etc. But, you know, I am not impressed. Are there too many big names? I don't know. Have they just not got their rhythm? I don't know. They have shown flashes of brilliance, but few and far between. Their defense looks pedestrian at times. Their biggest name, Ronaldinho, has yet to hit the mark or leave a mark. It's lucky that they have come out with two wins. Then again, it's winning that matters; effort stays unmentioned on the scoreboard. If anything, it's a meeting with Argentina that everyone should be avoiding.

Croatia 0:0 Japan
One of the more exciting matches I have seen so far. There's something about the tension in a scoreless game that is unlike the tension in a one-goal-game... It's not more intense, per se, but you know that breaking the tension is going to feel that much more sensational. Of course, there is the anticlimactic punch in the gut when the final whistle blows, the score unchanged: it's over, you're winded, and there's nothing you can do about it.

None of the groups have been truly decided yet, though some teams will be playing for jack in the third group round. Some groups are still completely wide open, which makes for more crazy go nuts fun.

Oh, Oilers, how you make me so happy. I don't know what to say. Sorry, I guess, for doubting you ever so slightly. Thank you for being so resilient and getting this far. Now it has all come down to one game. I won't make solid a prediction, but I will speculate a little. Carolina will not play as they did last night - no chance. They have the home crowd, they have the slump to get out of. Accordingly, Edmonton will not play as they did last night. They have some momentum and a glorious story to finish, but will it be enough? Who knows? I hope it's an even game. I hope it's physical and I hope the officiating is better. I hope it's exciting and nail-biting and cardiac arrest-inducing. I hope to be puking my guts out with anxiety. And I hope for a win.

2 Comments:

Blogger NICOLE. said...

could it be that i too am listening to the oilers game through the wonders of the radio on the internet at 4.38 in the morning in france with other girls from edmonton eating popcorn??? i think so. that was a mega run-on sentence.

June 19, 2006 8:43 p.m.  
Blogger Krista said...

Ah. Did you enjoy it? Because I didn't, really. But I knew they were going to lose. Just after noon today I felt it. It wasn't meant to be. I even cried. I balanced your run on sentence with my fragments.

June 19, 2006 11:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home