Thursday, June 29, 2006

Predict-o-Matic WC06

Okay, so my Quarterfinal predictions were pretty crappy - I went 4-4. But in my defense:
  • the Italy-Australia match was crazy - nearing the end, Australia was in the driver's seat. If it had gone to extra time I am sure Australia would have won. Nevertheless, the winning goal was correctly called, heartbreaking, but correct.
  • the Netherlands might have made a comeback had the two teams been playing an actual game of soccer.
  • the Switzerland-Ukraine game was the ultimate toss-up and I even called their parity.
I've got nothing on France. They surprised me. I made the wrong call. But being wrong has never felt so right, as they say. Allez Les Bleus!

So, let's put my predicting skills to the test yet again.... my Semifinal picks:
Germany - Argentina
  • This might be a toss-up.
  • Germany has been looking better than I had originally thought. Again, they've got home field advantage.
  • Argentina have been excellent. I hope they start Messi and/or Tevez.
Italy - Ukraine
  • Ukraine is, as the Beatles say, getting better all the time. They are the dark horse.
  • Italy are missing a key starting defender in Materazzi. All the pressure is on them as well - no one's really expecting Ukraine to win.
  • It might come down to the wire, but I think Ukraine has it in them
England - Portugal
  • England has shown that they are a fairly good team, although maybe not performing to their full potential.
  • Portugal is hurtin'. No Deco. No Costinha. Possibly no Ronaldo (although reports are saying he has an 80% chance of returning). Maybe they'll lose their heads again, too. Who knows?
Brazil - France
  • Again, a tough call. I want France to win, but the question is can they?
  • France have been looking better. They have finally found some offence, particularly in Ribery. All they need is for Henry to light it up (and stay onside, for that matter).
  • Brazil is just too good. THEY'RE TOO GOOD!!!
  • Everytime I doubt France, they storm back. I hope it works again this time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Just a little off topic (but I thought of it when you mentioned van Persie... for some reason), Arjen Robben is a mere twenty-two years old. I could have sworn that he was at least thirty, with that receding hairline and wrinkly disposition.

June 29, 2006 10:51 p.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Ukraine, Portugal, Ukraine, and France. yep, I'm going for the longshots. NO WAY is Brazil winning this year. It's going to be an upset year...perhaps Ukraine vs. France or Portugal in the Final....I'm almost willing to put money on it. Almost.

June 30, 2006 10:59 a.m.  
Blogger Future MD said...

Yeah, I have no idea of what ya'll are talking about, but Krista usually replies to my posts regarding her discussions and she hasn't yet, so I was just wondering if I insulted her or not.

Alright, go on to sports talk or whatever.

June 30, 2006 2:11 p.m.  
Blogger Krista said...

Crappity crap crap. My predictions SUCKASS.

First, Argentina could have had that one. DANG. I blame the loss on Pekerman - he went into defensive mode too soon.... subbing Crespo and Riquelme... and NOT putting in Messi. BAH.

And, well, maybe a Ukraine win was a longshot, but dang it, they could have been in it. Right after the squandered and excellent chance, Italy scored. And then it was over.

BLARG!!!

June 30, 2006 11:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home