Sunday, June 25, 2006

A Good Ol' Game of Cards

Portugal 1:0 Netherlands

OH BOY! I knew this game was going to be a close and interesting one, but I thought it was going to be because of smart and sharp play from both sides. Little did I expect the hackfest that it was. Sixteen bookings. Four sendings-off. Some missed calls and many missed opportunities.

In my opinion, the officiating was good. There were not any remarkably bad calls, but there was just so much off-the-ball happenings that it might have been impossible to keep a high level of control. It was ugly.

I predicted a Netherlands win, but that was only because I wanted them to win a little bit more. I thought they were technically and tactically matched coming in, and nothing on the pitch really proved otherwise. I was surprised that Ruud van Nistelrooij didn't make an appearance, and I was disappointed that the Netherlands couldn't capitalize on their man advantages. Kudos to the Portuguese defense, though. They held the Dutch off beautifully (when they weren't fouling them, that is).

Despite his pretty face and sweet soccer skillz, I have never really liked Cristiano Ronaldo. I find him showy and cocky and a bit of a drama queen. But after he had to leave today's game because of injury, my opinion of him swayed slightly. He cried and I found that somewhat endearing. I know what it's like to want to play for your team and I can only image the heightened passion of wanting to play for your country; not being able to do so because of something out of your hands is devastating. This guy loves the game and his country, and that I can respect.

1 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Oh, I'm not saying that the refs were ever in complete control. I think the players absolutely lost their heads. Complete control would have resulted in reducing both sides to five players.

It was sad to see the Dutch go, especially in such a ridiculous game.

Yes, I think Ronaldo was accused of rape, another reason why I don't like him.

And England, Gobbles? I know they are a good team and everything, but England? I can't stand them, but maybe that's just me.

Vive la France!!!

June 27, 2006 3:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home